D4′s certified consultants utilize forensically sound tools and processes to collect, analyze, reduce, and prepare data for long-term storage and legal review.
Our experts are acutely aware of the importance of preserving the integrity of ESI and maintaining a defensible chain-of-custody. Our documented methods mimic law enforcement standards and we enter every engagement with the mind-set that the ESI preserved will be used in a court of law.
- Verify the findings of other computer forensic experts
- Recovery of deleted files and file fragments
- Assistance with internal employee investigations
- Preservation and collection of data from social networking sites
- Collection of ESI from cell phones, smart phones, etc.
- Defensible remote preservation collection services
The updated FRCP mandates that parties meet and confer to discuss potential ESI. Many judges have encouraged counsel to utilize knowledgeable technical experts to assist the collection of ESI.
The updated rules force parties to focus on the problems of preservation and eDiscovery on the front-end (instead of potentially facing sanctions motions on the back-end) for failure to preserve and/or produce information.
- Preservation practices
- Scope of discovery
- Accessibility of ESI
- Production of metadata
- Costs & burden to produce ESI
- Forms of production
- Privilege issues and waiver
- Variations from FRCP and local rules
- Inventory of IT infrastructure (Data Map)
- Other important information
Traditionally, mobile device forensics was limited to the recovery of text messages, call logs, contact lists and phone IMEI/ESN information. Newer generations of smart phones also include web browsing, wireless network settings, e-mail and media information.
D4 can acquire and analyze most ESI found on mobile devices including:
- Calendar items
- SMS and MMS text messages
- Browser history
- Call logs
- Pictures and Videos
- SIM card data
- Phone settings
- Temporary Internet files
- Application information
D4 technicians are well versed in the preservation, collection and analysis of ESI stored on Macs and other Apple products.
Our experience includes:
- Complete forensic imaging of Mac devices
- Imaging and analysis of iPads
- Imaging and analysis of iPhones
- Mac OS X â€“ desktop and server (legacy Mac OS 8 & 9)
- Recovery and analysis of deleted Mac data
- Preparation of Mac data for placement into litigation review tool
Certifications include Access Data Certified Examiner (ACE); Certified Forensic Computer Examiner (CFCE); Certified Computer Examiner (CCE); EnCase Certified Examiner (EnCE) and other industry-recognized certifications.
Expert Services and Experience:
- Affidavits and Declarations
- Grand Jury experience
- Court room testimony
- Independent testimony on computer-related issues
- Court appointed neutral third party
- Services for plaintiff and defendant
- 26(f) Meet and confer consulting